History of Coleman
In 1882, the dreams of the Coleman area settles were answered when a new railroad track was laid between Coleman and Pound. The tracks brought settles closer to markets in other cities and provided a shorter route for lumber to travel. In 1884 the rails extended from Coleman and Pound and eventually to Crivitz and Marinette, which brought in more goods and more settlers.
Over the course of the next few years many buildings and businesses started to develop; A train depot was erected in 1882. The depot provided a shelter for passengers while waiting to board the train. In 1880 Boles sawmill, which employed more than 40 men year round was established providing jobs to the area. With the increase of settlers, medical attention needs were met when Doctor Geru joined the community in 1897. Dr. Geru provided medical treatment to the Coleman and surrounding areas.
In 1903 the Village of Coleman was incorporated, with 562 residents living in a one square mile radius. Jos. H. Duquaine was Colemanís first Village President and Sini Brault was his successor. By 1903 the lumber industry was the main industry in the Coleman area.
After the Village of Coleman became incorporated a new Highway passed through, Hwy 141. The highway allowed for easier transportation by road instead of railway. In 1909 the Village of Coleman fire department was established. A horse drawn team pulled a tank wagon to the local fires. City works projects began to develop adding side roads for easier access for vehicles such as the fire department. The light and power company organized and incorporated by August Wallschlaeger in 1914 provided the citizens of Coleman with electricity.
The new roads and light and power company provided a warm invitation to settlers moving into the Coleman area. Soon more businesses began to develop; jewelers, beauticians, auto service shops, legal businesses, canning company, drug store, cheese factory, and hotels began popping up. A post office was established to provide citizens with incoming and outgoing mail.
Soon Coleman had its own theater, general store, service station, hardware store, barber shop, taverns, banks, elevator company, stables, creamery, lumber company, shoe repair shop, machine shop, real estate company, funeral home, car dealership, pickle warehouse, oil company, telephone service, clothing store, pop factory, schools and churches. Coleman was a well established Village by the mid 1900ís.
As the logging industry shifted so did the settlers. Many of the businesses changed owners and production. Coleman is a strong community and in 2003 Coleman celebrated 100 years as a community. Colemanís original structure holds true to this day: new settlers are always welcomed and encouraged to join and prosper within the community.